Unless you’ve studied anatomy, you may not even realize you have a temporomandibular joint (TMJ). It works like a sliding hinge, connecting your skull to your jawbone. It’s important, given that you can’t chew without it! It can also cause persistent jaw pain. If it does for you, TMJ treatment in Georgetown can help.
Our treatment will:
- Give you relief from jaw and facial pain
- Keep pain from spreading to your neck, shoulders, and other areas
- Allow you to enjoy normal range of motion with your jaw again
- Protect your teeth from the effects of grinding, a habit often associated with a TMJ disorder
If your jaw hurts all the time, you could have a TMJ disorder (TMD). Call us at 843-492-5026 to schedule an appointment with Dr. John Miller. He’ll evaluate you for TMD and, if needed, create a custom oral appliance to relieve your pain.
Ease TMJ Pain With an Oral Appliance
If we diagnose a TMD, Dr. Miller will design a custom oral appliance for you that can relieve tension on your jaw and give it a chance to heal. Made using impressions of your teeth, it will fit you perfectly. If you grind your teeth, a mouthguard will also stop this destructive behavior. Over time, grinding can cause teeth to crack or even break. Dr. Miller will look for evidence of it during your dental exams, so he can address it before repair with restorative dentistry is needed.
In addition, we may suggest:
- Taking an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory pain reliever, like ibuprofen
- Applying ice packs
- Practicing stress-reduction techniques
If You Suspect a TMJ Disorder, See Us ASAP
Diagnosing a TMD can be tricky. Dr. Miller will discuss your symptoms with you, review your medical and dental histories, and examine your head, neck, and jaw. You should consult us ASAP if you notice these symptoms:
- A stiff jaw
- Radiating pain in your jaw, face, or neck
- Difficulty moving your jaw, or a locked jaw
- Popping or clicking when you open or close your mouth
- A change in how your upper and lower teeth fit together
For TMJ treatment in Georgetown, call 843-492-5026.