Unless you’ve studied anatomy, you may not even realize you have a temporomandibular joint (TMJ). It works like a sliding hinge, connecting your skull to your jawbone. When it isn’t working properly, you can’t chew your food comfortably and it can cause persistent jaw pain. If this happens, TMJ treatment in Georgetown can help. It can:
- Give you relief from jaw and facial pain
- Keep pain from spreading to your neck, shoulders, and other areas
- Allow you to enjoy normal range of motion with your jaw again
- Protect your teeth from the effects of grinding, a habit often associated with a TMJ disorder
If your jaw hurts all the time, you could have a TMJ disorder (TMD). Call us at 843-492-5026 to schedule an appointment with Dr. John Miller. If you don’t have insurance, join our membership plan for special savings!
Feel Better & Protect Your Smile With an Oral Appliance
When you arrive for your appointment, Dr. Miller will evaluate you for TMD. Using our in-house 3-D CT scanner, we’ll take crisp, detailed images of your TMJ that allow us to diagnose you properly. If we diagnose a TMD, Dr. Miller will recommend treatments, such as:
- Customized Oral Appliance – Made using impressions of your teeth, your custom-made mouthguard will relieve tension on your jaw, allowing it to heal. If you grind your teeth, a mouthguard will also stop this destructive behavior.
- At-Home Relief – Dr. Miller may also suggest activities you can do at home to help your jaw heal. For example, you can relieve pain by taking an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory pain reliever or applying ice packs. Practicing stress-reduction techniques can help too.
Because grinding can crack or even break your teeth, Dr. Miller will look for evidence of damage with a thorough dental exam. If needed, he may recommend restorative dentistry to repair your smile.
Diagnosing a TMD can be tricky. Dr. Miller will discuss your symptoms with you, review your medical and dental history, and examine your head, neck, and jaw. You should consult us ASAP if you notice symptoms like: a stiff jaw; radiating pain in your jaw, face, or neck; difficulty moving your jaw or a locked jaw; or a change in how your upper and lower teeth fit together.
For TMJ treatment in Georgetown, call 843-492-5026. You can also .